For decades, as the monarch butterflies swooped through every year like clockwork, people from Canada to the United States to Mexico wondered, “Where do they go?” In 1976 the world learned the answer: after migrating thousands of miles, the monarchs roost by the millions in an oyamel grove in Central Mexico’s mountains. But who solved this mystery? Was it the scientist or the American adventurer? The citizen scientists or the teacher or his students? Winged Wonders shows that the mystery could only be solved when they all worked as a team—and reminds readers that there’s another monarch mystery today, one that we all must work together to solve.
- 2020 Finalist AAAS/Subaru American Association for the Advancement of Science/Subaru
- 2020 EUREKA Excellence in Nonfiction Awards – Honoree
- Winner Best of 2020 Picture Book New Releases – Innovative Nonfiction Category
- The Original Art 2020 Nominee
- 2022 Grand Canyon Reader Award (Nonfiction Book Category) Nominee