Chip and Curly: The Great Potato Race
by Cathy Breisacher
Chip the potato chip is sure he has the annual Spud City Festival sack race in the bag--he's been practicing all year. The Home Fries (local baseball team) and Sweet Potatoes (cheer squad) are all rooting for him. The French Fries even bring their tots over for an autograph. But when Curly the springy curly fry shows up, Chip knows he's in trouble. This totally funny story is filled with clever potato puns--and subtle themes of sportsmanship and persistence. It will have kids and adults alike laughing out loud.
- Dewey: [E]
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585364084): 32 pages, 10 (w) x 10 (h), © 2019, 05/15/2019
- PDF (9781534138469): 32 pages, 10 (w) x 10 (h), © 2019, 05/15/2019
- Hosted ebook (9781534138605): 32 pages, 10 (w) x 10 (h), © 2019, 05/15/2019
- Subject: Language Arts
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 5 - Age 8
- Suggested Reading Level: Grade 1
- Lexile® Measure: 560
- Guided Reading Level: L
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: Pending
- JUVENILE FICTION / Humorous Stories (JUV019000)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Sports & Recreation / General (JUV032000)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Friendship (JUV039060)
Kirkus Reviews - Chip and Curly
Reviewed on 15 March 2019
One potato, two potato, three potato, four. Five potato, six potato, seven potato, more—more potato puns than you can count, as a young spud strives to win the sack race at the Spud City Festival. After training all year to win the Golden Bushel Award, Chip learns he must beat Curly, the new spud in town. From pre-race to finish, Breisacher and Heinsz use their setup to share verbal and brightly colored visual puns that children will enjoy.
Author: Cathy Breisacher
Cathy Breisacher has never been in a sack race and has never won a Golden Bushel Award, but she does love eating potatoes and rooting for underdogs. She lives with her husband in central Pennsylvania, not far from a town that holds an annual potato festival. Cathy is an elementary school librarian and is constantly whipping up new ideas for stories. You can hop online to read more about her and her books at www.cathybreisacher.com or on Twitter @CathyBreisacher.
Illustrator: Joshua Heinsz
Joshua Heinsz is an internationally published illustrator, writer, and designer with an MFA in Illustration Practice from Maryland Institute College of Art. He lives in Chicago, Illinois. Learn more about Joshua at www.joshuaheinsz.com.
- Item count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00
- Author/Illustrator biography