Frog and Friends Celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve
by Eve Bunting
Welcome to Frog and his world. He enjoys nothing better than spending time floating on his pond or visiting with his friends. He appreciates the simpler things in life and would prefer that things stay just the way they are--nice and peaceful. From acclaimed children's writer Eve Bunting comes a beginning reader series featuring the delightful Frog and his friends Rabbit, Possum, Raccoon, and Squirrel. In Frog and Friends Celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve, Frog shares a Thanksgiving feast with his woodland friends, celebrates his first Christmas, and rings in the New Year with a twist on tradition.
- Dewey: [E]
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585368976): 40 pages, 6 (w) x 9 (h), © 2015, 09/01/2015
- Paperback (9781585369331): 40 pages, 6 (w) x 9 (h), © 2015, 09/01/2015
- PDF (9781634704236): 40 pages, 6 (w) x 9 (h), © 2015, 09/01/2015
- Hosted ebook (9781634704373): 40 pages, 6 (w) x 9 (h), © 2015, 09/01/2015
- Subject: Language Arts
- Series: I AM A READER!
- Subseries: Frog and Friends
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 7
- Suggested Reading Level: Grade 1
- Lexile® Measure: 360
- Guided Reading Level: J
- ATOS Reading Level: 2.5
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 181445
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- JUVENILE FICTION / Humorous Stories (JUV019000)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Animals / General (JUV002000)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Holidays & Celebrations / General (see also Religious / Christian / Holidays & Celebrations) (JUV017000)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Holidays & Celebrations / Christmas & Advent (JUV017010)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Readers / Beginner (JUV043000)
Kirkus Reviews - Frog and Friends Celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve
Reviewed on 1 September 2015
Frog and his animal pals celebrate the winter holidays in this latest in Bunting’s early-reader series. In the Thanksgiving story, Frog and his regular crew of friends invite a host of additional critters to join them, from crickets to a hippo. Some animals are afraid of being eaten by others, but Frog calms them all down, and they share their dinner in peace. The Christmas story finds Frog and his friends cooperating in decorating a tree and sharing sweet treats. On New Year’s Eve, the animals celebrate with games and a nap under the stars. The stories are quietly entertaining and cleverly humorous with solid plots, subtle lessons, and a cozy sense of community among the group of friends. Bunting’s polished prose is several levels above most early readers, particularly in Frog’s calm leadership and in the understated humor. Charming illustrations are thoughtfully integrated with the text, including lots of spot illustrations as well as some full-page views. Just like the Frog and Toad series, these stories work well as early readers but are also strong enough to succeed as read-alouds for younger children too. Frog and friends are a delightful group—entertaining, charming, and funny. Just the sort of friends anyone is glad to have. (Early reader. 5-7)
Author: Eve Bunting
Eve Bunting was born in a little town in Ireland called Maghera and she was brought up in the tradition of storytelling. Her mother started a library in their house and there were always books available to read. Most were poetry, which Eve loved. She also loved ghost stories and adventure stories; actually stories of all kinds. So she grew up, got married, had three children, and became a storyteller herself.
Now Eve lives in California and writes books that tell stories. She has written a lot of books, more than 250, and hopes to write many more. Because storytelling is what she does. And what she loves to do.
Illustrator: Josée Masse
Josée Masse’s children’s books include “Mirror, Mirror” (selected as one of Publishers Weekly’s Best Children’s Books of 2010) and “Mousie Love” (included in Bank Street College’s Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2010).
- Item count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00
- Table of contents
- Author/Illustrator biography