Buzzy the Bumblebee
by Denise Brennan-Nelson
Sitting in a beautiful garden, high atop a flower, the impressionable Buzzy reads in the book, Learn to Fly, the very true fact that, "Bumblebees weren't made to fly." He reads again, "Bumblebees weren't made to fly." "Stranded on top of a flower/ Buzzy longed to fly away./ His heart still knew how/ But his head had forgotten the way." The adventure that ensues challenges Buzzy to overcome obstacles without his wings that he had never before thought possible. He travels over the stream and through the high grass, back home where his parents with love and support tell him, "You're doubting yourself./ Fear is in the way./ Listen to your heart Buzzy/ Not what others say./ Ignore labels and limits Buzzy./ They seldom do good./ You start to think, 'I Can't,'/ when you should be thinking, 'I Could.'" Its vibrant illustrations and clear, thoughtful message make Buzzy the Bumblebee a motivating and heartwarming story for all ages. "He stopped doubting himself/ And didn't need to know, 'Why.'/ He believed once again/ And was able to FLY."
- Dewey: E
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781886947825): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 9 (h), © 2004, 10/19/1999
- Paperback (9781585361663): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 9 (h), © 2004, 09/01/2003
- PDF (9781627530002): 20 pages, © 2013, 04/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627534840): 32 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 3.7
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 60382
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- JUVENILE FICTION / Animals / Insects, Spiders, etc. (JUV002140)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Emotions & Feelings (JUV039050)
- Friends of America's Writers Award, Winner, 2000
No reviews found.
Author: Denise Brennan-Nelson
Illustrator: Michael Glenn Monroe
Award-winning wildlife artist Michael Glenn Monroe began his career at a very young age. A self-taught painter, Michael spends his time meticulously honing his craft, often teaching himself many new and unique techniques to add to his paintings.Michael began his publishing career with Sleeping Bear Press in 1999 when both Buzzy the Bumblebee and M is for Mitten: A Michigan Alphabet were released. His knowledge and experience with landscapes and wildlife were a perfect match for Mitten, as well as subsequent state alphabet titles (S is for Sunshine: A Florida Alphabet and L is for Last Frontier: An Alaska Alphabet).Michael and his wife, Colleen, share a home in Brighton, Michigan, with their three children, twins Matthew and Natalie and John, born in May 2001.