S is for Save the Planet: A How-To-Be Green Alphabet
by Brad Herzog
Did you know Americans generate nearly 250 million tons of trash each year? Or that it takes hundreds of years for a polystyrene cup to decompose? Mankind's negative impact on Mother Earth is tremendous and daily bad news can make it feel overwhelming. But all is not lost! S is for Save the Planet: A How-to-Be-Green Alphabet details the many environmental issues we face and then suggests easy-to-take actions that anyone can do. From the particulars of vermicomposting and xeriscaping, to the three R's of responsible waste management, young readers learn how they can be a force of nature in protecting the earth for generations to come.Brad Herzog spends two months every summer traveling across the country with his wife and two young sons and celebrating America's natural wonders. Together, they have visited more than 30 national parks and seashores. This is Brad's eighth alphabet book for Sleeping Bear Press. He lives on California's Monterey Peninsula. Linda Holt Ayriss is the recipient of a silver medal from the Best in the West Society of Illustrators, and has been recognized in the Communication Arts Annual. She is also the author of Sleeping Bear's E is for Evergreen: A Washington Alphabet. Linda lives in Washington State.
- Dewey: 333.72
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585364282): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 10 (h), © 2009, 02/19/2009
- PDF (9781627531726): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627534222): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Language Arts
- Series: Science Alphabet
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 6.4
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 129612
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Science & Nature / General (see also headings under Animals or Technology) (JNF051000)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- Teachers' Choice Award for Children's Books by Learning Magazine, Winner, 2011
- Mom's Choice Award--Gold: Children's Picture Book Green Earth Category, Winner, 2009
- National Best Books Award Finalist--Children's Picture Book: Hardcover Non-Fiction, Runner-up, 2009
No reviews found.
Author: Brad Herzog
Chicago native Brad Herzog's first published story was the tale of his brief stint as a big league bat boy. He has watched the Cubs play from the box seats, the bleachers, the press box, even the Wrigleyville rooftops. Among his numerous books for Sleeping Bear Press are baseball books--H is for Home Run, Full Count, Little Baseball, I Spy With My Little Eye Baseball, and W is for Wrigley: The Friendly Confines Alphabet. A multiple winner from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, Brad has written dozens of other books about subjects ranging from soccer and small-town America to civil rights and saving the planet. He now lives on California's Monterey Peninsula with his wife, but visits schools around the country as a guest author, inspiring students about the joys of reading and writing and the possibilities of imagination.