Minnow and Rose: An Oregon Trail Story
by Judy Young
In the mid-1800s thousands of pioneers crossed the western plains of the United States using the 2,000-mile pathway called the Oregon Trail. Minnow and her family live in one of the many native villages scattered across the plains. She has a lively sense of adventure and her favorite pastime is swimming in the nearby river where she rightly earns her nickname. Rose and her family are traveling in one of the many wagon trains making their way west. It's been a tedious journey with little excitement. Rose can't wait for something thrilling to happen. And one day it does. On the banks of a rushing river that divides one way of life from another, two very different cultures come face-to-face, with life-changing results.In addition to writing children's books, Judy Young teaches poetry writing workshops for children and educators across the country. Her other books with Sleeping Bear Press include the popular R is for Rhyme: A Poetry Alphabet and The Lucky Star. Judy lives near Springfield, Missouri. A graduate of the Ringling School of Art and Design, Bill Farnsworth has created paintings for magazines, advertisements, children's books, and fine art commissions. He has illustrated more than 50 children's books and his book awards include a Teachers' Choice Award, the 2005 Patricia Gallagher Award, and the 2007 Volunteer State Book Award. Bill lives in Venice, Florida.
- Dewey: E
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585364213): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2009, 01/30/2009
- PDF (9781410308481): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2011, 09/01/2011
- Hosted ebook (9781627534215): 32 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Series: Tales of Young Americans
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 4.1
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 129325
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- New York State Reading Assoc. Charlotte Award Suggested Reading List--Intermediate Category, Short-listed, 2012
- Missouri Association of School Librarians Show Me Award List, Short-listed, 2011
- Storytelling World Resouce Honor Award: Pre-Adolescent Listeners Category, Winner, 2010
- Alabama Camellia Award Program: A Children's Choice Award, Winner, 2010
- Delaware Diamonds Book List--A Children's Choice Award, Short-listed, 2010
No reviews found.
Author: Judy Young
Illustrator: Bill Farnsworth
A graduate of The Ringling School of Art and Design, Bill Farnsworth has spent the last 28 years creating paintings for magazines, advertisements, children’s books, and fine art commissions of portraits and landscapes. A member of the Society of Illustrators, SCBWI, and the Oil Painters of America, his realistic paintings have appeared in many national shows and private collections throughout the United States. He has illustrated more than 50 children's books, including the Kaya books from the American Girl series. His work has been included in the Society of Illustrators Annual Show and the Oil Painters of America National Show. His children’s book awards include a Teachers Choice Award, the 2005 Patricia Gallagher Award, and the 2007 Volunteer State Book Award. Bill lives in Venice, Florida, with his wife, Debbie, and daughters, Allison and Caitlin.