Finn McCool and the Great Fish
by Eve Bunting
Finn McCool is the largest giant in all of Ireland. He's a fierce warrior, even beating the giant Culcullan and saving Ireland from the Scots. Helpful and kind, he helps the farmers bring in the hay. And everyone in the village of Drumnahoon admires him. "He's the best-hearted man that ever walked on Ireland's green grass." But for all his strength, courage, and goodness, there's one thing that Finn lacks. He's just not smart. And he knows it. When a wise man living in a nearby village tells Finn about a magical red salmon with the wisdom of the world, Finn sets out to catch the fish. And he learns a thing or two about himself in the process. An author of more than 250 children's books, Eve Bunting has won numerous awards and honors, including a Pen International Special Achievement award for her contribution to Children's Literature. In 2002 she was chosen to be Irish American Woman of the Year by the Irish American Heritage Committee of New York. She lives in Pasadena, California. Zachary Pullen's picture-book illustrations have won awards and garnered starred reviews. He has been honored several times with acceptance into the prestigious Society of Illustrators juried shows and Communication Arts Illustration Annual of the best in current illustration. Zak lives in Wyoming.
- Dewey: 398.2
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585363667): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2010, 01/02/2010
- PDF (9781585365821): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2010, 08/06/2010
- Hosted ebook (9781627534161): 32 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Series: Myths, Legends, Fairy and Folktales
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 4.0
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 136071
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- Califronia Readers Book Collections for School Librairies, Short-listed, 2011
- Storytelling World Resource Award: Stories for Young Listeners Category, Winner, 2011
- IRA--CBC Children's Choices List, Short-listed, 2011
No reviews found.
Author: Eve Bunting
Eve Bunting was born in a little town in Ireland called Maghera and she was brought up in the tradition of storytelling. Her mother started a library in their house and there were always books available to read. Most were poetry, which Eve loved. She also loved ghost stories and adventure stories; actually stories of all kinds. So she grew up, got married, had three children, and became a storyteller herself.
Now Eve lives in California and writes books that tell stories. She has written a lot of books, more than 250, and hopes to write many more. Because storytelling is what she does. And what she loves to do.
Illustrator: Zachary Pullen
Zachary Pullen’s picture-book illustrations have won awards and garnered starred reviews. He has been honored several times with acceptance into the prestigious Society of Illustrators juried shows and Communication Arts Illustration Annual of the best in current illustration. Zak lives in Wyoming.