by Denise Brennan-Nelson and Rosemarie Brennan
Miss Hawthorn's room is neat and tidy, not a pencil or paintbrush is out of place. And that's how she likes it. And she likes trees that are colored green and apples that are painted red. Miss Hawthorn does not like things to be different or out of the ordinary. Into Miss Hawthorn's classroom comes young Willow. She doesn't color inside the lines, she breaks crayons, and she sees pink trees and blue apples. What will Miss Hawthorn think? Magical things can happen when your imagination is allowed to run wild, and for Miss Hawthorn the notion of what is art and what is possible is forever changed.Willow is the first joint writing effort for sisters Denise Brennan-Nelson and Rosemarie Brennan. Denise's other Sleeping Bear Press books include Someday Is Not a Day of the Week and My Grandma Likes to Say. She lives in Howell, Michigan. Rosemarie Brennan juggles careers as a writing teacher and an author. She lives in Brighton, Michigan. Cyd Moore studied graphic design and fine arts at the University of Georgia. Her work includes posters, billboards, books, newspaper and magazine articles, and cassette and CD covers. She is the illustrator of I Love You, Stinky Face and I Miss You, Stinky Face. She lives in Commerce, Michigan.
- Dewey: E
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585363421): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2008, 05/01/2008
- PDF (9781627531641): 32 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627534048): 32 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 3.2
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 122519
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- North Carolina Children's Book Award List--Picture Book Category, Short-listed, 2012
- Kansas State Reading Circle Selection for the Catalog: Intermediate Category, Short-listed, 2010
- Missouri Show Me Reader Award Finalist, Runner-up, 2010
- North Dakota Flicker Tale Children's Picture Book Award, Winner, 2010
- Children's Choice Book Award Finalist: Grades 3-4, Runner-up, 2009
- Eric Hoffer Book Award/Honorable Mention, Runner-up, 2009
- Honor Book for the Comstock Read Aloud Book Award Sponsored by the Library at Minnesota State University Moorhead, Winner, 2009
- IRA/CBC Children's Choices Reading List, Short-listed, 2009
- Storytelling World Awards/Young Listeners Category, Winner, 2009
- Delaware Diamonds Booklist K-2 Cateogry: A Children's Choice Award, Short-listed, 2009
- Kids' Wings Award List--By Kids' Wings Creative Educational Associates (http://suzyred.com), Short-listed, 2009
- Mom's Choice Gold Award/Distinctive Illustration, Winner, 2009
- Mom's Choice Gold Award/Inspirational/Motivational Category, Winner, 2009
- Mom's Choice Gold Award/Most Outstanding Children's Book, Winner, 2009
- Mom's Choice Award--Most Outstanding Children's Book, Winner, 2009
- Nappa Honor Award/Ages 6 & Up Category, Winner, 2008
No reviews found.
Author: Denise Brennan-Nelson
Denise Brennan-Nelson has written a number of books for children, including Tallulah: Mermaid of the Great Lakes, Leopold the Lion, Someday Is Not a Day of the Week, My Momma Likes to Say,and the popular Willow series. As a national speaker, Denise encourages adults and children to tap into their imaginations to create richer, fuller lives. She travels the country, sharing her reading and writing enthusiasm with schoolchildren and teachers. Denise with her family in Howell, Michigan. She strives to spend each day teaching and learning with a creative spirit. Find out more about Denise at www.denisebrennannelson.com.
Author: Rosemarie Brennan
Rosemarie Brennan juggles careers as a writing teacher and an author. She lives in Brighton, Michigan with her three children, Ashley, Jason and Adam, who have taught her many important lessons, including that everything isn’t black and white. Willow was the first collaboration with her sister, Denise Brennan-Nelson. When they are not writing together, Rosemarie and Denise are having fun presenting writing and creativity workshops and retreats. Rosemarie’s diverse past includes stints as a birth doula, coffeehouse owner, and legal secretary. She is seldom without paper and pen.
Illustrator: Cyd Moore
Growing up on a farm in Georgia, Cyd had lots of time to dream…a lot of time to be quiet… lying all warm-in-the-sun flat-on-your-back in a wheat field…thats when she learned to feel and notice magic in the ordinary world. She went on to study graphic design and fine arts at the University of Georgia. Cyd is the illustrator of over 35 books, including the I Love You, Stinky Face series. She currently resides in southeast Michigan and loves to travel, practice yoga and garden. Speaking to schoolchildren and attending conferences is also something Cyd loves to do.