by Sonia Levitin
Even before they immigrate to America, Hanna and her family dream of the new life they will have there. "You will see, Hanna," Papa said. "There are streets of gold." But when they arrive, they find life very different from what they had imagined. Their apartment is small and Hanna and her brothers must sleep on a mattress on the floor. Mama spends her days knitting shawls and sweaters to sell on the streets but no one stops to buy. And Papa can find no work. Hanna looks everywhere for the gold Papa promised them but it is not to be found. What will happen to their dream of a new, better life in America? One day a seemingly insignificant find on a slushy street leads to an opportunity for a brighter future. And like many others before them, Hanna and her family realize that through small steps and hard work they can make their American dream come true.
- Dewey: E
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585363155): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2008, 10/10/2007
- PDF (9781627531603): 32 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627533980): 32 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Language Arts, Social Studies
- Series: Tales of Young Americans
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- Suggested Reading Level: Grade 3
- Lexile® Measure: 580
- Guided Reading Level: P
- ATOS Reading Level: 2.9
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 120592
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- JUVENILE FICTION / Historical / United States / 19th Century (JUV016140)
- JUVENILE FICTION / People & Places / United States / African American (JUV011010)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Prejudice & Racism (JUV039120)
- New York Summer Reading List: One World, Many Stories: Explore New York, Short-listed, 2011
- Bank Street College of Education--Best Book of the Year List, Short-listed, 2007
No reviews found.
Author: Sonia Levitin
Sonia Levitin has written numerous books for children ranging from mystery and adventure to humor and history. She is the winner of multiple prestigious awards, and teaches creative writing at UCLA.
Illustrator: Guy Porfirio
Guy Porfirio has illustrated children's books for many well-known publishers as well as advertising and marketing companies. He is a graduate of the American Academy of Art in Chicago and attended the School of Visual Arts in New York.
- Item count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00
- Author/Illustrator biography
- Teaching guides