M is for Meow: A Cat Alphabet
by Helen L. Wilbur
From saber-toothed to tabby, cats have had a prominent place in human history, society, and hearts. Now cat lovers of all ages can discover what's lurking behind kitty's twitching tail and bewitching eyes in M is for Meow: A Cat Alphabet. Beginning readers enjoy the simple rhymes, while older children discover facts about each letter topic in the accompanying sidebar expository. M is for Meow Feed me, pet me, come and play. Let me out, please go away! A cat fits all these thoughts somehow into the tiny word MEOW! General topics such as breeds, behavior, and cat care alternate with charming anecdotal entries. Lavish paintings of cat and owner appeal to enthusiasts of all ages. A back section on cat stats and feline facts provides even more information for pet owners.Former librarian Helen L. Wilbur has loved cats all her life. In explaining her goal in writing an animal book for children, she says, "Animals don't care if you aren't the most popular kid in the class or whether you did your homework." Helen has a BA in English Language and Literature from the University of Chicago, a master's degree in library science from Columbia University, and lives in New York City. Robert Papp's award-winning artwork includes hundreds of illustrations for major publishers across the United States, and his first children's book, The Scarlet Stockings Spy, was named an IRATeachers' Choice in 2005. Robert lives in historic Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
- Dewey: 636.799999999999
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585363049): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2007, 12/01/2006
- PDF (9781627531573): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627533928): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Language Arts
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 6.5
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 112056
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Animals / Cats (JNF003040)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- National Best Books Finalist in the Children's Picture Book: Hardcover Non-Fiction category, Runner-up, 2007
- Cat Writers Association Muse Medallion--Books for Children category, Winner, 2007
- Cat Writers Association Muse Medallion--Fort Dodge/Healthy Cats for Life Turning Point Award, Winner, 2007
- Cat Writers Association Muse Medallion--Kuykendall Image Award (illustration), Winner, 2007
- ASPCA Henry Bergh Children's Book Honor--Illustration Category, Winner, 2007
No reviews found.
Author: Helen L. Wilbur
A former librarian, Helen L. Wilbur spent many years in the world of publishing. She has a B.A. in English Language and Literature from the University of Chicago and an M.A. in Library Science from Columbia University. Helen’s award-winning children’s books include Finnegan and Fox: The Ten-Foot Cop (2014 Bank Street Best Books of the Year for Children, 2013 Creative Child Seal of Excellence Award), Lily’s Victory Garden (2011 Storytelling World Resource Honor Award: Stories for Pre-Adolescent Listeners Category, 2011 IRA Teacher’s Choices Reading List – Primary Category) and Z is for Zeus: A Greek Mythology Alphabet (2009 Mom’s Choice Award). Other awards include the Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People. Helen lives on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, and spends her summers in the mountains of New Hampshire.
Illustrator: Robert Papp
Because Robert Papp’s childhood drawings of his favorite superheros were such a pleasure, it was only natural that he would wind up an illustrator. Nowadays, his award-winning artwork appears on book covers and in magazines instead of on the refrigerator. He has produced hundreds of cover illustrations for major publishers across the United States. Robert lives in historic Bucks County, Pennsylvania.