Black Beauty's Early Days in the Meadow
by Anna Sewell
One of the most popular animal stories of all time, Anna Sewell's Black Beauty was first published in 1877. Drawn from the original text and intended for even the youngest of horse lovers, Black Beauty's Early Days in the Meadow depicts the first few months of the horse's life as a foal frolicking in the meadow. Artist Jane Monroe Donovan renders the classic story in lush oil paintings that convey a pastoral world of green fields and shady trees, while tenderly capturing the special love between mare and foal. The perfect harmony of words and pictures proves once again that the simplest messages are often the strongest. Readers will relish the sweetness of life in the meadow and the companionship of family and friends.
- Dewey: E
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585362967): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2007, 09/28/2006
- PDF (9781627535861): 32 pages, © 2014, 09/01/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627536202): 32 pages, © 2014, 09/01/2013
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 3.2
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 110471
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- K-2 Crown Gallery Award Finalist, Runner-up, 2008
- Foreword Magazine's Book of the Year Award Finalist, Runner-up, 2006
No reviews found.
Author: Anna Sewell
Illustrator: Jane Monroe Donovan
Jane Monroe Donovan’s parents encouraged her to follow her heart and it led to her love of sketching and painting. Her affection for animals is reflected in much of her subject matter. Jane makes her home in Pinckney, Michigan, with her husband and their two sons, along with a menagerie of pets. Jane is the author and illustrator of Winter’s Gift.