I is for Idea: An Inventions Alphabet
by Marcia Schonberg
For every budding scientist who would like to think beyond the smoking volcano, diorama, and colored graphs of the typical school science fair. I is for Idea explores the development of bicycles, zippers, toilets, computers, and many other inventions that we now take for granted in our daily lives. Readers will learn about the inventors and the genesis behind these ever-present and useful items. Curious kids will find plenty of inspiration as they discover the answers to their continuous questions. What is the basis for the phrase "the real McCoy"? What actually is the mother of invention? What kitchen appliance was developed after a scientist's candy bar suddenly melted? Author Marcia Schonberg lives north of Columbus, Ohio. She is the author of more than a dozen books, including B is for Buckeye: An Ohio Alphabet. Illustrator Kandy Radzinski's first book with Sleeping Bear Press, S is for Sooner: An Oklahoma Alphabet, was the Oklahoma Center for the Book Best Illustrated Book 2004. She lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Dewey: 600
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585362578): 48 pages, 11 (w) x 10 (h), © 2006, 08/01/2005
- Paperback (9781585363278): 48 pages, 11 (w) x 10 (h), © 2007, 12/15/2006
- PDF (9781627536394): 48 pages, © 2013, 09/20/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627536516): 48 pages, © 2013, 09/20/2013
- Subject: Language Arts
- Series: Science Alphabet
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 7.0
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 101490
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Science & Nature / General (see also headings under Animals or Technology) (JNF051000)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- Finalist Design/Illustration Category Okalahoma Book Award, Runner-up, 2006
No reviews found.
Author: Marcia Schonberg
Ohio native and award-winning journalist Marcia Schonberg's written more than a dozen children's books and frequently contributes to national periodicals and daily newspapers, including the Columbus Dispatch and the Medina Gazette. Marcia is an active member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the Ohioana Library Association, Midwest Travels Writers Association, and the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. She splits residency between Lexington, Ohio and Naples, Florida and travels extensively uncovering topics for her books and articles.
Illustrator: Kandy Radzinski
Kandy Radzinski received her Masters of Fine Arts from East Texas State University. She taught art at Central Washington State College and the University of Tulsa. Kandy has illustrated children's books, posters, greeting cards, and even a six-foot penguin. Her art has been described as "quirky realism" and can be seen at www.kandyradzinski.com.She lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with her husband, Mark, her son, Ian, and two Scottie dogs, Mozzie and Kirby. Both Ian and Kandy are second-degree black-belts in Tae Kwon Do.