G is for Garden State: A New Jersey Alphabet
by Eileen Cameron
Readers will be delighted to discover the many wonders of the Garden State, from her famous sons and daughters (inventor Thomas Edison and the Revolutionary War heroine Molly Pitcher) to her beautiful sights (the Highlands, the Pinelands, and New Jersey's famous shoreline), and her unique institutions (The Seeing Eye training institute for seeing eye dogs and Haddy, the largest complete dinosaur skeleton of its time, found in 1858). G is for Garden State explores the places, people, and landmarks that make New Jersey a fascinating place to live in and to visit again and again. Written in the popular two-tier format for our Discover America State by State alphabet series, young readers will explore state facts through colorful illustrations, rhyming verses, and expository text. Used in schools throughout the country, this series effectively expands classroom curriculum.Author/preservationist Eileen Cameron is interested in protecting our natural and historical resources. She serves on the board of the Washington Association of New Jersey at Morristown National Historical Park. Eileen has hiked the Appalachian Trail at High Point, rafted on the Delaware River, and now lives in Morristown, New Jersey. Doris Ettlinger has illustrated numerous children's books including Springtime in the Big Woods and Mr. Edwards Meets Santa Claus , both adapted from the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design. Doris lives and works in a 150-year old gristmill in western New Jersey with her family and a Welsh Corgi.
- Dewey: 974.9
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585361526): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2004, 05/26/2004
- PDF (9781585366224): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2010, 10/08/2010
- Hosted ebook (9781627533539): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Geography, Language Arts
- Series: Discover America State by State
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 8
- ATOS Reading Level: 6.6
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 80719
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / History / United States / State & Local (JNF025180)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / People & Places / United States / General (JNF038100)
- 101 Great New Jersey Books List - Children's & Young Adult Category, 2014
- New Jersey Center for the Book selection for the National Book Festival Exhibit, Winner, 2005
No reviews found.
Author: Eileen Cameron
Author/preservationist Eileen Cameron is interested in protecting our natural and historical resources. She serves on the board of the Washington Association of New Jersey at Morristown National Historical Park. Eileen has hiked the Appalachian Trail at High Point, rafted on the Delaware River and now lives in Morristown, New Jersey.
Illustrator: Doris Ettlinger
Doris Ettlinger has illustrated many picture books, including the award-winning titles The Orange Shoes and A Book for Black-Eyed Susan. Recent books are S is for Sea Glass: A Beach Alphabet and The Legend of Sea Glass. Each book presents a new illustration challenge. Aim for the Skies gave Doris the chance to imagine very small aircraft in vast stormy skies. Doris lives and works with her husband in an old gristmill in western New Jersey. A graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design, Doris earned an MFA from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. She learned watercolor technique from her mother, Minnie Ettlinger. To see more of her work, follow Doris Ettlinger Studio on Facebook or Instagram, or visit dorisettlinger.com.
- Item count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00