K is for Kick: A Soccer Alphabet
by Brad Herzog
Author Brad Herzog brings his well-received prose and soccer knowledge together with Melanie Rose's charming and realistic illustrations to detail every facet of the game. Each letter has a simple rhyme for young readers: "J is for the Jerseys that soccer players wear. But often in the World Cup, opponents tend to share. In a gesture of respect after a game ends, They simply swap their jerseys as if they are old friends." For older readers the expository text gives specific details about goaltending, referees, the World Cup, and many other aspects. K is for Kick follows the wildly popular Z is for Zamboni.
- Dewey: 796.333999999999
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585361304): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 10 (h), © 2004, 08/15/2003
- Paperback (9781585363391): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 10 (h), © 2007, 12/15/2006
- PDF (9781627532006): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627535243): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Language Arts
- Series: Sports Alphabet
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 6.5
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 74544
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Sports & Recreation / Soccer (JNF054130)
No reviews found.
Author: Brad Herzog
Chicago native Brad Herzog's first published story was the tale of his brief stint as a big league bat boy. He has watched the Cubs play from the box seats, the bleachers, the press box, even the Wrigleyville rooftops. Among his numerous books for Sleeping Bear Press are baseball books--H is for Home Run, Full Count, Little Baseball, I Spy With My Little Eye Baseball, and W is for Wrigley: The Friendly Confines Alphabet. A multiple winner from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, Brad has written dozens of other books about subjects ranging from soccer and small-town America to civil rights and saving the planet. He now lives on California's Monterey Peninsula with his wife, but visits schools around the country as a guest author, inspiring students about the joys of reading and writing and the possibilities of imagination.
Illustrator: Melanie Rose
Melanie Rose's charming and lively oil paintings brought Canada vividly to life in Mike Ulmer's M is for Maple: A Canadian Alphabet. She has also illustrated Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet and K is for Kick: A Soccer Alphabet. A graduate of the Ontario College of Art, Melanie lives in Mississauga, Canada, with her son.