K is for Keystone: A Pennsylvania Alphabet
by Kristen Kane
Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water, Gettysburg, Ben Franklin's inventions, the Liberty Bell -- there is so much to learn about Pennsylvania's history and geography. K is for Keystone is a wonderful introduction to many of Pennsylvania's unique features for readers young and old."E is for Easton A town where you can see, The birthplace of crayons and markers, In the Crayola© FACTORY." "The word Crayola© comes from the French word craie (chalk) and the first part of the word oleaginous (an oily paraffin wax). In 1903 cousins Edwin Binney and C. Harold Smith created an overnight success with their Crayola© crayons made for school use. Seventy-five years later Crayola© markers were produced. The Crayola© FACTORY in Easton, Pennsylvania, includes a hands-on discovery center and offers demonstrations that show how crayons and markers are made."
- Dewey: 974.8
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585361045): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2003, 01/24/2003
- PDF (9781585366361): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2010, 11/12/2010
- Hosted ebook (9781627533294): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Geography, Language Arts
- Series: Discover America State by State
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 8
- ATOS Reading Level: 7.0
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 69307
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / History / United States / State & Local (JNF025180)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / People & Places / United States / General (JNF038100)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
No reviews found.
Author: Kristen Kane
Kristen Kane is a native Pennsylvanian. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education from Penn State University, where she served as Student Editor for the College of Education's student newsletter. Her years spent teaching in the classroom led her to create K is for Keystone: A Pennsylvania Alphabet. She wrote this book to introduce even the littlest learners to Pennsylvania's history, geography, and culture. Kristen has been published in the professional journal Teaching K-8, and has conducted educational workshops for elementary school teachers. She lives in Indiana, Pennsylvania with her husband and their children.
Illustrator: Laura Knorr
Laura Knorr was born and raised in northeastern Pennsylvania and remarks, "I may have left that delightful state but it is home in my heart wherever I may go."She graduated with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Illustration from Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida, and has worked as a freelance illustrator for a handful of years. Laura lives in Commerce, GA.
- Item count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00