S is for Show Me: A Missouri Alphabet
by Judy Young
Ross & Judy Young's combined belief that children comprehend intricate ideas at a very young age made it possible for them to seamlessly create "S is for Show Me: A Missouri Alphabet." The husband and wife team elegantly synthesize text and illustration to provide a rich texture of the Show Me State. The alphabet book employs a two-tiered approach that reaches Pre-K through 6th grade students. A rhyme for each letter of the alphabet catches the attention of younger readers, while older elementary students grasp a richer understanding of the topic by reading expository information on the same page.
- Dewey: 977.8
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585360260): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2002, 09/17/2001
- PDF (9781585367597): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2010, 10/15/2010
- Hosted ebook (9781627533058): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Geography, Language Arts
- Series: Discover America State by State
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 8
- ATOS Reading Level: 5.8
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 69317
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / History / United States / State & Local (JNF025180)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / People & Places / United States / General (JNF038100)
- New York State Reading Assoc. Charlotte Award Suggested Reading List--Primary Category, Short-listed, 2012
- Teachers' Choice Award for Children's Books by Learning Magazine, Winner, 2011
- Skipping Stones Honor Award--Nature and Ecology Books Category, Winner, 2011
- Mom's Choice Award--Gold: Children's Picture Book Green Earth Category, Winner, 2009
- National Best Books Award Finalist--Children's Picture Book: Hardcover Non-Fiction, Runner-up, 2009
- Missouri Center for the Book National Book Festival Representative, Winner, 2008
- Missouri Writers Guild Best Junvenile Book Award, Winner, 2006
No reviews found.
Author: Judy Young
Judy Young remembers writing a poem for her grandmother when she was about ten. Her grandmother encouraged her to keep writing, and Judy did! Judy is the author of over two dozen children’s picture books and novels, including, Promise, The Wild World of Buck Bray series and the Digger and Daisy series. Judy’s books are used extensively in the public schools and have received numerous awards and honors. One of her most cherished is hearing LeVar Burton read A Pet for Miss Wright for Reading Rainbow Storytime Video to celebrate National Reading Month. Another, was watching as R is for Rhyme, A Poetry Alphabet was performed by the University of Utah’s Creative Dance Program.
Judy received her MA in Speech and Language Pathology from the University of Tulsa and formerly worked in the public schools for 20 years. Now, a frequent speaker at schools, children’s lit fests and professional educational conferences nationwide, Judy’s firsthand experience in the schools makes her programs not only entertaining, but directly related to school curriculum.
Judy resides in the mountains near Mink Creek, Idaho, with her husband, Ross, a professional artist, who illustrated two of Judy’s books. In her spare time, Judy enjoys hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, and gallivanting around the country in “Arlo,” the Young’s traveling studio. Read more about Judy, her books and author visits to schools at www.judyyoungpoetry.com.
Illustrator: Ross B. Young
The art of Ross B. Young is often associated with paintings of the world's greatest sporting dogs. He also paints wildlife and landscapes. Ross has been a professional artist since he received his Masters of Arts in Painting from the University of Tulsa in 1980. His artwork has been displayed in national and international art shows, galleries and museums. It has also been in or on the covers of many magazines and books. Ross regularly shares his expertise and his love of art with children by speaking to local elementary classrooms and judging elementary art shows. Ross and his wife, Judy, live in the country near Springfield, Missouri. They have a daughter, Brett, a son, Reid, and five dogs.
- Item count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00