The Voyageur's Paddle
by Kathy-jo Wargin
Voyageur is the French word for "traveler," but in the Great Lakes region during the seventeenth century it described those men who made their living trading furs and goods along water routes. Traveling by canoe, these voyageurs helped to establish north woods trading posts and settlements, opening up the West to future exploration. Young Jacques's father is such a voyageur. He works long hours in bitterly cold weather, absent from home for weeks at a time. As he awaits his father's return from a season of trading, Jacques dreams of the day he will hold the canoe paddle and join the ranks of voyageurs.Author Kathy-jo Wargin is known for her many stories celebrating Great Lakes lore and north woods history including the 2001 IRA Children's Choice Award winner, The Legend of the Loon. She lives with her family in Petoskey, Michigan. David Geister's body of work with Sleeping Bear Press continues to grow and includes The Legend of Minnesota, also written by Kathy-jo Wargin. He specializes in historic art and has a background in commercial art. David lives with his family in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Dewey: F
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585360079): 40 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2007, 05/01/2007
- PDF (9781627531221): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627532983): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Series: Myths, Legends, Fairy and Folktales
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 4.9
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 115791
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- JUVENILE FICTION / Historical / United States / General (JUV016110)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Family / General (see also headings under Social Themes) (JUV013000)
- Bank Street College of Education--Best Book of the Year List, Short-listed, 2007
No reviews found.
Author: Kathy-jo Wargin
Kathy-jo Wargin is the author of more than 45 books and has earned national acclaim through award-winning children's classics such as Michigan's official state book, The Legend of Sleeping Bear, Children's Choice Award winner The Legend of the Loon, The Edmund Fitzgerald: Song of the Bell, and many others. Kathy-jo enjoys writing about nature, folklore, and its effect on all our lives. She is a frequent guest speaker and presenter for associations, school districts, and conferences throughout the country. She lives in Minnetonka, Minnesota.
Illustrator: David Geister
Artist Dave Geister tells stories through his historical paintings and costumed storytelling. He enjoys doing school visits almost as much as painting children’s book illustrations. Teachers and librarians often comment on the rapport that Dave establishes with children and staff and how he encourages them to do their art.Dave is married to Pat Bauer, author of his most recent book B is for Battle Cry: A Civil War Alphabet.