E is for Extreme: An Extreme Sports Alphabet
by Brad Herzog
E is for Extreme indeed! From the gravity-defying rush of bungee jumping to the ultimate endurance challenge of the ultramarathon, young readers are given an armchair seat to the world of extreme sports. What makes the Iditarod sled dog race so grueling? What sports competition is only open to U.S. Army Rangers? And what famous mountaineer answered "Because it's there" to the question of why he wanted to climb Mount Everest, only to disappear on the mountain a year later? Other topics include drag racing, freestyle skiing, and kite boarding. Now thrill seekers of all ages can experience the ABC's of extreme sports.Prolific travel/sportswriter Brad Herzog has more than two dozen books to his credit, including six sports alphabet books for Sleeping Bear Press. When he's not traveling around the United States, Brad makes his home on California's Monterey Peninsula with his family. Melanie Rose has illustrated almost a dozen books for Sleeping Bear Press, including the bestselling Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet and W is for Wind: A Weather Alphabet. Among her future book projects are a dance alphabet and an England alphabet. Melanie lives in Mississauga, Canada.
- Dewey: 796.356999999999
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585363100): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 10 (h), © 2007, 05/04/2007
- PDF (9781627531597): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627533942): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: High Interest, Language Arts
- Series: Sports Alphabet
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 6.9
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 115462
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Lifestyles / Farm & Ranch Life (JNF033000)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Sports & Recreation / Extreme Sports (JNF054180)
No editorial reviews found.
Author: Brad Herzog
Brad Herzog lives on California’s Monterey Peninsula with his wife, Amy, and his two sons, Luke and Jesse. As a freelance writer, he has won several awards from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, including a Grand Gold Medal for best magazine article of the year. Brad has published more than two dozen books, including two memoirs about his travels through small-town America.
Illustrator: Melanie Rose
Melanie Rose’s charming and lively oil paintings brought Canada vividly to life in Mike Ulmer’s M is for Maple: A Canadian Alphabet. She has also illustrated Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet and K is for Kick: A Soccer Alphabet. A graduate of the Ontario College of Art, Melanie lives in Mississauga, Canada, with her son.