S is for S'mores: A Camping Alphabet
by Helen Foster James
Next to baseball and fireworks on the Fourth of July, nothing else seems as American as the family camping trip. From what to pack, where to go, and what to do when you get there, S is for S'mores: A Camping Alphabet takes readers on an A-Z trail exploring this outdoor pastime. Veteran camper Helen Foster James tackles topics such as unique camping environments, equipment necessities, famous conservationists, and national parks and other attractions. Whether your idea of "roughing it" is a blanket in your own backyard or the subarctic ecosystem of Alaska's Denali National Park, S is for S'mores is a fun and informative guide that is sure to help campers of all ages make the most of their wilderness adventures.Helen Foster James started researching this book when she was four years old - that's when she went on her first camping trip. An educator for over 20 years, Helen is a lecturer for San Diego State University. Her first book, E is for Enchantment: A New Mexico Alphabet, was a WILLA Literary Award Finalist. Helen lives in San Diego, California. Lita Judge lives in New Hampshire with her husband. She studied geology and dug for dinosaurs before she turned to writing and illustrating children's books. Her love of nature, animals, science, and history inspires her art.
- Dewey: 796.54
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585363025): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 10 (h), © 2007, 05/01/2007
- PDF (9781410308177): 40 pages, 10 (w) x 11 (h), © 2011, 08/18/2011
- Hosted ebook (9781627533911): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Language Arts
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 5.8
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 114879
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Sports & Recreation / Camping & Outdoor Activities (JNF054030)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- Elementary California Collection Listing, Commended, 2009
- San Diego Book & Writing Awards Finalist, Runner-up, 2008
No editorial reviews found.
Author: Helen Foster James
Helen Foster James has been an educator for more than twenty years, and is now a lecturer at San Diego State University. She received her doctorate from Northern Arizona University. One of her goals is to travel to all 50 states, and she has already visited more than half. She lives in San Diego, California, with big stacks of children’s books and her husband Bob.
Illustrator: Lita Judge
Author and illustrator Lita Judge has a degree in geology from Oregon State University and has worked as an environmental geologist and a paleobotanist. Her fascination with dinosaurs led her to work on paleontology digs with the Tyrell Museum at Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta, Canada. Lita writes and illustrates children’s books from her home in Peterborough, New Hampshire.