H is for Honor: A Millitary Family Alphabet
by Devin Scillian
Written by the son of a career officer, this book explores the branches of the Armed Services and speaks from the heart about the honor, privileges and sacrifices of military families everywhere. Children will discover why drill sergeants have to be so tough, what it means to be patriotic and why we need Special Forces such as the Navy SEALS, the Green Berets and the Army Rangers. H is for Honor also explains why the annual Army/Navy football game is more than just a game, how much letters from home mean to soldiers, how often military families have to move and what life on base is like. With an underlying message of courage and commitment that every child can relate to, the book will be especially meaningful to those whose parents, siblings or other relatives serve in the Armed Forces.
- Dewey: 355
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585362929): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2007, 08/01/2006
- PDF (9781627531566): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627533904): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Language Arts
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 6.7
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 109222
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / History / Military & Wars (JNF025130)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- Kansas State Reading Circle Selection for the Catalog in the Intermediate School Division, Short-listed, 2009
- New York State Reading Association Charlotte Award Ballot Finalist, Runner-up, 2008
- NYSRA Suggested Reading List--Intermediate, Short-listed, 2008
No editorial reviews found.
Author: Devin Scillian
Devin Scillian is an award-winning author and Emmy award-winning broadcast journalist. He has written more than 10 books with Sleeping Bear Press, including the best-selling A is for America: An American Alphabet, Brewster the Rooster, Johnny Kaw and Memoirs of a Hamster. Devin lives in Michigan and anchors the news for WDIV-TV in Detroit.
Illustrator: Victor Juhasz
A graduate of the Parsons School of Design, Victor Juhasz began illustrating in 1974 while still a student and has been working nonstop ever since. His humorous illustrations and caricatures have been commissioned by major magazines, newspapers, advertising agencies, and book publishers both national and international, and his clients include Time, Newsweek, The New Yorker, Rolling Stone, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and GQ. Victor lives with his family in Averill Park, New York.