Paul Bunyan's Sweetheart
by Marybeth Lorbiecki
Paul Bunyan has a BIG problem. He's in love but the lady who has caught his eye will have nothing to do with him. What's a giant lumberjack to do? When Paul Bunyan meets pretty Lucette, he knows she's the gal for him. After all, she's so tall she can't fit into an ordinary cabin. She can churn butter into a thick creamy river, and when she cleans house she can twirl up a tornado! Why, it's a match made in heaven! But to win Lucette's heart, Paul must prove his worth in a love test. Acclaimed storyteller Marybeth Lorbiecki brings together history and legend for a rollicking American tall tale. Enchanting artwork tenderly gives life to the BIGGEST love story the north woods region has ever seen.Marybeth Lorbiecki has written more than 20 award-winning books, including the acclaimed Jackie's Bat and Sister Anne's Hands (IRA Best Books of the Year 1999). History and conservation are favorite themes in her work. Marybeth lives in Hudson, Wisconsin. Renée Graef is well known as the illustrator for the "Kirsten" books in the American Girl children's book series, and has also illustrated many My First Little House books. Renée's other work with Sleeping Bear Press includes B is for Bookworm: A Library Alphabet. Renée lives in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.
- Dewey: E
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585362899): 32 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2007, 05/01/2007 OP
- PDF (9781627535922): 32 pages, © 2014, 09/01/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627536264): 32 pages, © 2014, 09/01/2013
- Series: Myths, Legends, Fairy and Folktales
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 4.6
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 115786
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- JUVENILE FICTION / Historical / United States / General (JUV016110)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Nature & the Natural World / Environment (JUV029010)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Love & Romance (JUV026000)
- Notable Wisconsin Children's Author of the Year by the Wisconsin Library Association, Winner, 2008
- Bank Street College of Education--Best Book of the Year List, Short-listed, 2007
No editorial reviews found.
Author: Marybeth Lorbiecki
Marybeth Lorbiecki has written many award-winning books, including the acclaimed Jackie’s Bat and Sister Anne’s Hands (1999 IRA Book of the Year). History and conservation are favorite themes in her work.
Illustrator: Renée Graef
Renée Graef is a very well known children’s book illustrator for the American Girls collection with Pleasant Company. She has also illustrated for Boyd’s Bears and is the illustrator of HarperCollin’s My First Little House series. Renée attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison; she lives in Milwaukee with her family.