The Orange Shoes
by Trinka Hakes Noble
Delly Porter has a happy life. She needs new shoes, but doesn't really mind because she loves the soft, silky feel of the dirt road beneath her bare feet. She's a good artist, too, even if she has to make her own art supplies. And she loves her schoolteacher, Miss Violet, who lets her help in the classroom. Life only looks brighter when Miss Violet announces the school will have a Shoebox Social to help raise funds for new art materials. But when what should be a festive occasion is threatened by prejudice and cruelty, Delly finds out that one must stay true to oneself to successfully navigate life's joys and sorrows. From Trinka Hakes Noble, the author of The Scarlet Stockings Spy and The Last Brother, comes the story of a young girl who learns the most precious things in life are not measured in dollars and cents but by the warmth of one's heart. And that truth, beauty, and love are in the eye of the beholder.
- Dewey: F
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585362776): 40 pages, 9 (w) x 11 (h), © 2008, 09/01/2007
- PDF (9781627531528): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Hosted ebook (9781627533829): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 9
- ATOS Reading Level: 4.9
- ATOS Interest Level: LG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 116943
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 0.5
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Peer Pressure (JUV039100)
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Homelessness & Poverty (JUV039070)
- NYSRA Charlotte Award Ballot Finalist--Primary Category, Runner-up, 2010
- NYSRA Charlotte Award Suggested Reading List--Primary Category, Short-listed, 2010
- Arkansas Diamond Primary Book Award Reading List, Short-listed, 2009
- Delaware Diamonds Booklist K-2 Cateogry: A Children's Choice Award, Short-listed, 2009
- Missouri Show Me Readers Award List Finalist, Runner-up, 2009
- Nebraska Golden Sower Primary Award List--K-3, Short-listed, 2009
- Tennessee Volunteer State Book Award Finalist, Runner-up, 2009
- Young Hoosier Award Finalist: Picture Book Category, Runner-up, 2009
- IRA Teachers' Choices--Primary Category, Winner, 2008
- Book Sense Award--Children's Picks List, Winner, 2007
- National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) Honors, Winner, 2007
- Bank Street College of Education--Best Book of the Year List, Short-listed, 2007
- Rutgers University Project on Economics and Children: Top Five Books, Co-winner
No editorial reviews found.
Author: Trinka Hakes Noble
Trinka Hakes Noble is the award-winning author of numerous picture books including The Orange Shoes (2007 National Parenting Publications Awards Honors Winner), The Scarlet Stockings Spy (2005 IRA Teachers’ Choice), The Last Brother, and The Legend of the Cape May Diamond. Ms. Noble also wrote the ever-popular Jimmy’s Boa series and Meanwhile Back at the Ranch, both featured on PBS’s Reading Rainbow. Her many awards include ALA Notable Children’s Book, Booklist Children’s Editors’ Choice, IRA-CBC Children’s Choice, Learning: The Year’s Ten Best, and several Junior Literary Guild Selections.
Ms. Noble has studied children’s book writing and illustrating in New York City at Parsons School of Design, the New School University, Caldecott medalist Uri Shulevitz’s Greenwich Village Workshop, and at New York University. A member of the Rutgers University Council on Children’s Literature, she was awarded Outstanding Woman 2002 in Arts and Letters in the state of New Jersey for her lifetime work in children’s books. Ms. Noble currently lives in the historic Jockey Hollow area of Bernardsville, New Jersey.
Illustrator: Doris Ettlinger
Doris Ettlinger has illustrated numerous children’s books including Sugar Snow and A Little House Birthday, both adapted from the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design. Doris lives and works in a 150-year-old gristmill in western New Jersey with her family and a Welsh Corgi.