P is for Peace Garden: A North Dakota Alphabet
by Roxane B. Salonen
Our continuing alphabet journey takes us to North Dakota, the home to such wide-eyed wonders as bison, mosasaurs and the Red River. Every letter in the alphabet is another chapter of a land rich in history, people and nature. Look to the skies for a bald eagle or to the horizon for a Wild Prairie Rose, the state flower. But no matter where children look in P is for Peace Garden, they're sure to find beauty and state pride on every page. This homespun tour of the Roughrider State uses folksy rhymes and in-depth text to share North Dakota's heritage with everyone. One just needs to open its pages to be taken on tour that will take them to Fargo, Bismarck and beyond. Paying special attention to the flora and fauna as well as the folklore that makes North Dakota a shining jewel in our nation's crown makes this book as important to its people as readers everywhere. Roxane Salonen uses her North Dakota roots to focus on the aspects of the state others rarely hear about. Share in North Dakota's glory and landscape through her glowing prose and illustrator Joanna Yardley's exquisite renderings of a vision rarely seen. P is for Peace Garden: A North Dakota Alphabet is sure to inspire and impress generations of reader for years to come.
- Dewey: 978.4
- Graphics: Full-color illustrations
- Hardcover (9781585361427): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2005, 04/01/2005
- PDF (9781585367603): 40 pages, 11 (w) x 9 (h), © 2010, 10/15/2010
- Hosted ebook (9781627533454): 40 pages, © 2014, 08/15/2013
- Subject: Geography, Language Arts
- Series: Discover America State by State
- Suggested Interest Level: Age 6 - Age 8
- ATOS Reading Level: 7.0
- ATOS Interest Level: MG
- Accelerated Reader® Quiz: 87697
- Accelerated Reader® Points: 1.0
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / History / United States / State & Local (JNF025180)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / People & Places / United States / General (JNF038100)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Concepts / Alphabet (JNF013010)
- North Dakota Center for the Book's Selection to Represent North Dakota at the National Book Festival, Winner, 2006
- North Dakota Professional Communicators Award, Winner, 2006
- Flicker Tale Children's Book Award Nominee--Upper Grade Level Non-Fiction. A Children's Choice Award, Runner-up, 2005
- Upper Grade Level Non-Fiction. A Children's Choice Award, Winner, 2005
No editorial reviews found.
Author: Roxane B. Salonen
In second grade, Roxane handed her teacher a handmade “book,” bound by staples. After quietly reading it, Miss Larsen said, “You should write books someday.” Some 30 years later, the planting of those seeds has taken root. P is for Peace Garden is Roxane’s first children’s book and takes readers on a rhyming alphabet tour of North Dakota, where Roxane and her family currently reside.
Illustrator: Joanna Yardley
Joanna Yardley was born in Bishop’s Stortford England and moved to the states as a child. She is a graduate of Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and has had the pleasure of working with some of the greats in the industry—Chris Van Allsburg, David Macaulay and Jane Yolen. She has illustrated a number of award-winning children’s books, including “The Bracelet” by Yoshiko Uchida, which was named a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book. Jo and her husband Dale have lived on both coasts and now both borders of this beautiful country. They are raising their son Max in Missoula, Montana, along with their pets—Osa and Serena.
- Item count: 0
- Subtotal: $0.00